Chief Master Sergeant Thomas W. Lenig is the Chief Enlisted Manager and Career Field Manager of The United States Air Force Honor Guard, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Washington, District of Columbia. He oversees the scheduling and performance of 220 ceremonial guardsman over a four state area of responsibility. He manages more than three thousand missions per year from Air Force Funerals to Joint Service ceremonies honoring the President of the United States, Foreign Heads of State and senior Department of Defense and Air Force leaders. Additionally, he performs ceremonial guardsman duties for ceremonies ranging from Presidential and Joint Service events, Air Force arrivals and wreath-laying ceremonies at the Tomb of the Unknowns and the Air Force Memorial, as well as military funerals in Arlington National Cemetery.
Chief Lenig enlisted in the Air Force in 1989 after graduating from Mifflinburg Area High School in Pennsylvania. As a Materiel Management Senior Non- Commissioned Officer, he has served in a variety of logistical support assignments at the joint service, major command and wing level. He has deployed twice in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM as a combat advisor to the Afghan National Army.
1994 Airmen Leadership School, Kadena Air Base (AB), Okinawa Japan
2004 Distinguished Graduate Non-Commissioned Officers Academy, Hickam Air Force Base (AFB), Hawaii 2006 Air Force Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Course
2007 Associate of Applied Science degree in Logistics Management, Community College of the Air Force 2009 Air Force Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Alabama
2016 Air Force Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Alabama
1. December 1989 - February 1990, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. February 1990 - April 1990, Student, Technical Training School, Lowry AFB, Colorado
3. April 1990 - October 1995, Customer Service Journeyman, 18th Supply Squadron, Kadena AB, Okinawa Japan
4. October 1995 - November 1998, NCOIC, Presidential Colors The United States Air Force Honor Guard, Bolling AFB, Washington D.C.
5. December 1998 - November 1999, NCOIC, War Reserve Materiel, 36th Supply Squadron, Andersen AFB, Guam
6. November 1999 - October 2000, NCOIC, 13th Air Force and 36 Air Base Wing Protocol, Andersen AFB, Guam
7. October 2000 - October 2006, NCOIC, MICAP F-16/A-10 Cell, Pacific Air Forces Regional Supply Squadron, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
8. November 2006 - August 2011, Superintendent, Quality Assurance, 4th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Seymour Johnson, AFB, North Carolina
9. September 2011 - June 2016, Superintendent Air Force Customer Support, Logistics Operations Directorate, Headquarters Defense Logistics Agency, Fort Belvoir, Virginia
10. June 2016 - Present, Chief Enlisted Manager, The United States Air Force Honor Guard, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Washington D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Aiman Basic Dec. 5, 1989
Airman June 5, 1990
Airman First Class April 5, 1991
Senior Airman June 5, 1992
Staff Sergeant Dec. 1, 1997
Technical Sergeant June 1, 2002
Master Sergeant May 1, 2006
Senior Master Sergeant Feb. 1, 2010
Chief Master Sergeant Jan. 1, 2016
(Current as of July 2016)