Master Sgt. Whitfield Jack, Superintendent of the U.S. Air Force Drill Team, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Washington, D.C. Jack is responsible for more than 30 competitively selected ceremonial guardsmen, as well as participating in their intricate drill performances. He manages the team's director of operations operations and the training program.
As a member of this traveling component the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard, Jack promotes the Air Force mission in the National Capital Region and around the world, showcasing drill performances at public and military venues to recruit, retain and inspire Airmen. The team performs drill movements with fully-functional M-1 rifles in intricate, constantly changing formations. His unit also supports the Air Force Recruiting Service as the official Ambassadors in Blue.
Jack has conferred full honors to fallen servicemembers and head dignitaries at Arlington National Cemetery, Va., and represented the Air Force at the White House, Pentagon, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Air Force Memorial, Women's Memorial and in New York City, N.Y., as the ceremonial non-commissioned officer in charge.
Before serving in the U.S.Air Force Honor Guard, Jack was assigned to the 3rd Weather Squadron, Fort Hood, Texas, as a combat weather apprentice. Four years later, he was handpicked as a Military Training Instructor, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. He served six years as a MTI before joining the USAF Honor Guard.
Jack is a native of Brooklyn, N.Y.
2003 Airman Leadership School, Lackland AFB, Texas
2007 Associates in Instructor of Technology, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base, Ala.
2010 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, Norfolk, Va.
2010 Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
1. May 1998 - June 1998, student, basic military training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. June 1998 - December 1998, student, weather apprentice technical training, Keesler AFB, Miss.
3. December 1998 - January 2003, combat weather apprentice, Fort Hood, Texas
4. January 2003 - April 2003, student, Military Training Instructor School, Lackland AFB, Texas
5. April 2003 - June 2009, Master Military Training Instructor, Lackland AFB, Texas
6. June 2009 - September 2009, student, USAF Honor Guard Technical Training School, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Washington, D.C.
7. September 2009 - November 2011, ceremonial guardsman, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Washignton, D.C.
8. November 2011 - Present, Flight Chief, U.S. Air Force Drill Team, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Army Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Good Conduct Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defence Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic May 6, 1998
Airman November 6, 1998
Airman 1st Class September 6, 1999
Senior Airman May 6, 2001
Staff Sergeant March 1, 2003
Technical Sergeant May 1, 2008
Master Sergeant May 1, 2012
(Current as of October 2012)